Screencasting is the easiest way to record a Skillshare class. All you need is a computer and a microphone! Take your students through an engaging slide presentation or software demo by using a simple software on your computer. You’ll find all the tools and tutorials you need to create your first screencast videos on any budget below.
Preparing to Record a Screencast:
- Set your resolution: Skillshare’s video player uses a 16:9 aspect ratio, so you’ll want to make sure everything you record (your screen and your slides) match the same ratio. Head to System Preferences > Display to change your screen resolution to 1280 x 720 or above.
- Make your slides: If you are using slides, some great tools are Powerpoint ($6.99/month), Keynote ($19.99) and Prezi ($10/month). Be sure to add lots of high-resolution images to keep students engaged. Check out this tutorial to learn how to create an engaging slide presentation.
- Set up your audio: We recommend using a USB microphone like this or your Apple headphones to record the audio for your class. Quickly run through this tutorial on how to setup your microphone. Don’t forget to keep the mic as close to your mouth as possible and record in a quiet space!
Screencasting on a Mac:
- Option 1: Quicktime (Free)
If you are just running through slides or a software demo with minimal editing, Quicktime is the simplest way to record and edit your class, for free! Run through this 5-minute tutorial to learn everything you need to record, edit and export your screencasted videos in Quicktime.
- Option 2: Quicktime + IMovie (Free)
If you need to do a little more editing, like adding a visual asset to the middle of your screencapture, we recommend capturing your footage in Quicktime and importing into iMovie to edit. Here’s a tutorial on how to edit and export your footage in iMovie.
- Option 3: Camtasia for Mac (30 day free trial + $99)
Camtasia is our number 1 recommended tool for recording a screencast and editing, all in one. Walk through this easy to follow tutorial to create your class in no time. Plus, Camtasia offers loads of helpful resources and tutorials on their site.
Screencasting on a PC:
- Option 1: Windows Movie-Maker (Free)
A good, free solution for capturing and editing your screen and webcam footage.
- Option 2: Camtasia for PC (30 day free trial +$299)
Although a little pricier, if you have a PC we recommend Camtasia as the best all-in-one solution. Here’s a tutorial for getting started with Camtasia on a PC.
We asked a few of our top teachers to share their personal tips and tricks for recording a screencast. Check out their insights here.
Need extra help? For help with editing your screencast videos, VideoPixie - a freelance network for videographers and editors - offers a special discounted editing package for Skillshare teachers! Learn more here.
A How-To Guide On Screencasting Your Class: