How can I get a copy of my 1099 or 1042-S for tax reporting purposes?

This article is intended to outline relevant tax forms and documents teachers can expect from Skillshare. For individual tax advice, please consult a tax professional. Skillshare is not able to provide tax advice.

For more information about taxes, please see:

Tax Forms for 2022

For the 2022 tax year, regardless if you are based in the U.S. or outside of it, you will receive an electronic version of either your 1099-MISC (by January 31, 2023) or 1042-S (by March 15, 2023) through Track1099.

This video explains how the electronic version of the form will be sent to you via Track1099.

For teachers based outside the U.S., if you did not provide a TIN (tax identification number) when you registered with Tipalti you will receive the 1042-S by regular mail. We strongly recommend you ensure your TIN is included in your Tipalti registration to prevent potential delays or issues with regular mail.

Tax Forms for Previous Years

U.S.-based Teachers

Since payments to teachers for 2021 and earlier were handled directly through PayPal, we recommend logging into PayPal to retrieve your 1099:

  1. Log in to your PayPal account and click History.
  2. Then, select Tax Documents from the dropdown menu.

If there is no 1099 available in your PayPal account, that means you did not reach the earnings threshold that requires PayPal to provide you with a 1099.

Teachers Based Outside of the U.S.

Teachers from outside the U.S. who earned revenue from Skillshare in 2021 can request a copy of their 1042-S by emailing We do not issue forms for non-U.S. teachers for tax years prior to 2021.