Will I be taxed on my Skillshare earnings?

This article is intended to outline relevant tax forms and documents teachers can expect from Skillshare. For individual tax advice, please consult a tax professional. Skillshare is not able to provide tax advice.

For more information about taxes, please see:

Skillshare is a U.S.-based company, which means that we need to uphold certain obligations to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in regards to tax withholding and reporting. Payments that you receive from Skillshare for U.S.-sourced minutes watched or referral revenue are considered income and we are required to withhold a portion of that income to fulfill those obligations.

Tax withholding in general and the amount withheld will depend on whether the income was sourced in the U.S. and the country in which you file taxes. The appropriate tax documentation will be gathered from you through our payment system Tipalti when you register for an account.

You will receive either a 1099 (if you are based in the U.S.) or a 1042-S form (if you are outside the U.S.) for your Skillshare teacher payments. Refer to the article How can I get a copy of my 1099 or 1042-S for tax reporting purposes? for more information.

U.S.-based Teachers

If you file for taxes in the United States, there will be no tax deductions from your teacher payments as long as we have a W-9 on file for you.

Teachers Based Outside of the U.S.

If you file for taxes outside the United States, the rate of taxes withheld will vary by country, but can range from 0% (no taxes withheld) to 30% of your Skillshare income. It is important that you complete the tax form during Tipalti registration so the correct tax rate is withheld.

For more information about taxes please review NRA Withholding on the IRS website.

If you do not fill out the tax step of the registration process completely in Tipalti you will be subject to the maximum withholding tax of 30%. Where indicated, you must include your tax identification number (TIN) or employer identification number (EIN) and select a treaty country, if applicable. Skillshare will not be responsible for refunding any amount of taxes that were withheld as a result of incomplete tax forms during registration.