Why do I need to fill out a W-8/W-9 form to receive payments?

This article is intended to outline relevant tax forms and documents teachers can expect from Skillshare. For individual tax advice, please consult a tax professional. Skillshare is not able to provide tax advice.

For more information about taxes, please see:

When you register to receive payments from us through Tipalti for your earnings on Skillshare, you may be asked to complete either a W-9 (for U.S. residents) or a W-8 (for non-U.S. residents) form. We are required to ensure that you have a valid tax form on file, so we can withhold taxes at the appropriate rate and meet our obligations with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

U.S.-based Teachers

IRS form W-9 is most commonly used by individuals when they are working as a freelancer or independent contractor in the U.S. Skillshare will use the information provided on this form to report your earnings to the IRS.

Teachers Based Outside of the U.S.

IRS form W-8 is used by foreign individuals and businesses to document their non-U.S. status and to claim any applicable treaty benefits for tax purposes. There are several different variations of the W-8 form, depending on your tax status; the most common forms for non-U.S. residents are form W-8BEN (for individuals) or W-8BEN-E (for “entities”).

When you register for Tipalti, the tax form questionnaire will help you determine what form you need to submit based on your current tax status. If you’re not sure which form to submit or how to answer a question about your tax status, you must consult with a tax advisor to ensure you’re entering the information correctly.

If you are not a United States citizen or resident, you may be subject to tax withholding at a rate of up to 30% for income earned in the U.S. However, this rate of withholding may be lower or zero if you are a resident in a country that has an income tax treaty with the United States. For more information on taxes, please refer to the article Will I be taxed on my Skillshare earnings?.

If you are based outside of the US and you do not fill out the tax step of the registration process completely in Tipalti you will be subject to the maximum withholding tax of 30%. Where indicated, you must include your tax identification number (TIN) or employer identification number (EIN) and select a treaty country, if applicable. Skillshare will not be responsible for refunding any amount of taxes that were withheld as a result of incomplete tax forms during registration.