How 1-on-1 Sessions Work

Skillshare 1-on-1 Sessions are a new offering from Skillshare that enables teachers to deliver personalized coaching or advice to anyone through a private, 1-on-1 video call. Here’s how they work:

  • 1-on-1 Sessions are hosted on Cal.com, a third-party scheduling and video conferencing tool that we’ve integrated into the Skillshare platform.
  • As a teacher, you decide what kind of sessions you want to offer. The most common types are personalized creative instruction, portfolio review, business coaching, and career development. Each of your sessions should have a clear and distinct focus, and you can host up to 3 different types of sessions from your Cal.com page.
  • You also set your own lengths, prices, and availability. Each session is generally 30-60 minutes in length and costs anywhere from $50 to $250 USD.
  • Currently, teachers keep 100% of the revenue paid by participants (less a Stripe transaction fee of 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction). When this offering moves out of its beta development phase, we’ll be introducing a revenue split in which 90% of the revenue goes to teachers, and the other 10% goes to Skillshare. Note that the revenue split might shift slightly as we get a better understanding of what works for teachers and Skillshare.
  • Participants do not need to have a Skillshare membership in order to book a 1-on-1 Session.
Review our 1-on-1 Sessions FAQ article for a list of common questions from students.
Since 1-on-1 Sessions is still in beta, we’re testing this offering with a limited number of creators by invitation only. However, we currently see an opportunity to increase the number of teachers offering 1-on-1 Sessions in the following subcategories: Animation, Film & Video, UI/UX, Photography and Graphic Design. If you teach in these areas and would like to express interest in hosting 1-on-1 Sessions on Skillshare, reach out to teach@skillshare.com — we’ll get back to you if you’re eligible for this initial beta phase.

We’ll share here and in the Teacher Newsletter if we open up the opportunity to the wider teacher community.