As a teacher on Skillshare, you earn revenue based on the number of minutes watched by Skillshare members in your classes every month.
In this article:
How Skillshare Royalties Work
Skillshare operates under a subscription model. Members pay an annual fee for a Skillshare membership, which includes unlimited access to our entire catalog of classes and other membership benefits like hands-on projects, teacher feedback, and offline viewing through our mobile app. View the full benefits of a Skillshare membership here.
Each month, 30% of Skillshare’s net membership revenue goes to a royalty pool for teachers. Teachers are paid from the royalty pool based on their share of the paid minutes watched by students (both paying members and those in free trials) across the platform each month. For example, if a teacher's classes receive 5% of the minutes watched by members, that teacher receives 5% of the royalty pool.
While we do our best to estimate your earnings each month on your Teacher Stats dashboard, the actual payment you receive on the 16th may differ because of these additional factors:
- Your share of the total minutes on the platform is calculated based on the performance of your classes relative to the performance of other teachers’ classes.
- Skillshare’s monthly membership revenue can fluctuate beyond Skillshare’s projections based on shifts in cancellation rates and refund rates.
- Our Trust & Safety team regularly conducts fraud investigations among users that may occasionally result in changes to your minutes watched, and thereby, your share of total minutes. To learn more about these fraud investigations and their potential effect on your minutes watched, review the article Why did my minutes watch decrease?
With some exceptions (see below), you’ll receive your monthly payment on the 16th of each month through Tipalti.
- You must get a minimum total of 75 paid minutes watched across all of your classes within a month in order to receive a payment for that month.
- Trailer minutes do not count toward your monthly payment as all class trailers are available to watch for free.
- Minutes watched by students through a free access link do not count toward your payment.
Tracking Your Earnings
Your Teacher Stats dashboard shows your total earned revenue across all of your classes since you started teaching on Skillshare.
Your estimated earnings are visible at the top of Your Teacher Stats dashboard. Below the charts showing minutes watched and the number of students across all your classes you’ll see an earnings breakdown for all previous months.
- Quicklink to Your Teacher Stats dashboard